Herb Garden Update

by Landis Carey on July 28, 2011

Here I am admitting complete failure. Last week when the temperatures reached 108 degrees here in New Jersey and then continued just below that mark for a few days I must not have given my herb garden enough water. I’m tremendously sad about its current condition. Yes, I should have watered it more or at least pulled it into the shade. I imagine if I had a few of the plants would still be alive.

The basil was long gone as you all said it would be…I used many of its leaves and then it flowered just before the heat hit it. The rosemary is the only herb that remains alive. It certainly wasn’t affected by the hot, dry weather like the oregano and thyme.

So, I’m wondering is there anything I can go to help this situation? I know a few of you out there are gardeners with really (super) dark green thumbs but I’m not one of you. Do you have any words of wisdom? Should I start fresh next year? Maybe replant this year?

(Image: Landis Carey)

Emily July 28, 2011 at 9:47 am

Check out this blog…. http://awaytogarden.com/. I am living vicariously through it until I have spare time in my life again! : )

Landis Carey July 30, 2011 at 8:26 am

Oh, great tip, Emily! Thank you :)

Emily July 28, 2011 at 4:50 pm

I just had the same thing happen to me. I was out of town for over a week and came home to dead plants (despite asking my cat sitter to water them). I was able to save my hydrangea by taking it out of the soil and soaking it in a bucket of water for a day. The leaves are starting to grow back. My basil is dead and I didn’t try that method on it, but it could maybe work with some of your wilted dried out herbs! Worth a shot right?

Landis Carey July 30, 2011 at 8:28 am

This is basically what I did — I just soaked the entire planter — and it seems to be helping. The rosemary is growing more than ever and it seems it’s happy the others are gone. We’ll see! I’m so glad your hydrangea survived!

AC July 31, 2011 at 3:03 pm

We did that same thing. Full sun helps, and if you’re using a put, make sure you turn it daily so it doesn’t “burn.”

Landis Carey July 31, 2011 at 4:11 pm

Oh, great point, AC! Thank you!

AC July 31, 2011 at 3:04 pm