Blank Kitchen plus Benjamin Moore Sweet Innocence

by Landis Carey on July 13, 2011

Did I mention we finally added color to our kitchen…just as Mint Peach Home was about to exhibit? As we were prepping the house for the event, the thought of standing on a ladder painting above the cabinets and trying to move the fridge ourselves was just so scary (and too much), so we turned to our favorite painter here in Maplewood and they were glad to help.

It’s been about a month since the kitchen was painted and I’m still surprised by how much I love the cool tones of  the Benjamin Moore Sweet Innocence juxtaposed against the warm wood cabinetry as I enter the space. How did we choose the color, you wonder?

Back in April I chatted up an easy, practical way to choose paint in Tuesday Tip: Practical Paint Color Advice: If you’re interested in painting several rooms that flow together or even adjoining ones and you don’t want too much variance or too much similarity, choosing a lighter tint and a darker shade from the same paint chip is a great option. Click over if you haven’t seen the post.

So, this is exactly what we did. After first choosing Benjamin Moore’s Surf Blue for our dining room, I spent several weeks testing different paints in our living room, searching for the perfect cool, crisp gray that would compliment our richly-colored Surf Blue walls. We settled on Shadow Gray for our living room and I couldn’t be happier. Its blue undertones define the space, making the room’s bountiful woodwork pop while toning down the adjacent Surf Blue.

Knowing I didn’t want to introduce another “color” onto the floor—considering the kitchen’s colorful chairs and adjacent rooms—we opted for the lighter tint of Shadow Gray, Sweet Innocence.

The walls are now protected from smudges and the room’s cabinets have come alive. It was a simple way to breathe new life into the old home that we’re making young again.

Kim @ Life Analytical July 13, 2011 at 11:10 am

I’m surprised at how nice that looks! I’ve seriously struggled with what color to paint my dark kitchen with its warm cabinets when you can see part of it from my super bright blue living room. Your kitchen looks nicely balanced. I don’t really notice the paint color itself.. just that the room looks nice altogether.

Landis Carey July 13, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Thanks so much, Kim! Choosing a color that receded was a top priority. I wanted to protect the walls while making the cabinets pop, and of course choose a color that supported our brightly-colored dining room! What color is your living room?

Kali Hilke February 27, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Looks fantastic!

Side note: I just discovered your site from the link on Apartment Therapy, and was surprised to see the name of the color you chose…I painstakingly picked out Benjamin Moore’s Sweet Innocence about three months ago for my 1-year-old’s new room (we’re talking narrowed down from about 25 greys), and stared lovingly at the swatch until two days ago when I finally had a chance to start the project. I was devastated to find out that it read as too blue/lilac on the walls, and didn’t end up as the clean, neutral grey I envisioned. Ultimately, I had them warm it up a bit (it’s now much closer to Whitestone) and it works better with the heirloom (read: ragged-but-we-love-it) rug we got from my grandfather.

I’m so happy to see your kitchen with this color after forming an inexplicable emotional attachment to it, haha…it is so perfect for your space. Nice work! I’m also really glad to have found your blog!

Landis Carey February 27, 2012 at 5:04 pm

Hi, Kali, welcome! What a great story, and you’re totally right about Sweet Innocence! It definitely reads as a light blue grey but that’s what we were after. Our kitchen is adjacent to our dining room and the coolness of the Sweet Innocence really tones down the peacock of our dining room. But if you were after something warmer, it’s definitely not the right hue! Thanks for chiming in — so glad to have you!

Kali Hilke February 27, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Thanks for the response! I was in love with the swatch and the color in general, but it was just our rug that didn’t get the memo. :) Can’t wait to see some more of your transformations. And after having done two nurseries in our rental for our firstborn, I may chime in re: your post on AT!

NB March 8, 2012 at 11:57 am

Looks great! What color did you use for the ceiling?

Landis Carey March 8, 2012 at 4:20 pm

Thanks so much! I’ll ask the painters when they’re here next week, and I’ll let you know.