Herb Garden Update

by Landis Carey on June 8, 2011

It’s been a little under a month since I planted Rosemary, Basil, Thyme and Oregano in a free-standing cedar planter on our back patio. And it was just yesterday that I just noticed how much they’ve grown: No longer able to see the soil, the wiry Rosemary is in full force while all the plants are deep green and fragrant.

Friends: When can I begin cooking with these little lovelies? Will they continue to grow even if I snip a little bit off each one?

stephanie June 8, 2011 at 9:30 am

The more you cut them, the more they will grow. It took me a couple of tries to figure out the Basil. The trick is…..don’t cut down the stalks like you would buy from the grocery store. Pinch off the big leaves only if there is growth above it. Then the plant can focus its energy on those little leaves. That is how you end up with huge Basil plants that actually grow enough to make sauces and things.

Landis Carey June 8, 2011 at 9:37 am

Oh, great advice, Stephanie! Thank you!

SOS June 8, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Your late F-I-L used to plant basil and mint by the back door every summer…did it all taste so good! You’re a good cooker, you’ll find delicious ways to put your summer herb garden to good use. I’m picking up a new basil plant this afternoon, glad to learn from Stephanie how to best use it.

We’ll all enjoy summer’s bounty!

hayden June 8, 2011 at 2:57 pm

what she said… also, some people think that they get bitter if the flowers start growing, which i’ve never really experienced, but similar to what stephanie said, if you let the flowering stalk grow, the plant will focus energy on that instead of making new leaves. all the other herbs look good enough to start clipping from!

Emily June 19, 2011 at 10:11 am

I have been looking into doing a planter for herbs as well! Did you start from seeds or buy a few plants that were already grown and replant? I am totally clueless and have some basil and love the tip from your friend above!

Landis Carey June 19, 2011 at 6:08 pm

Hi, Emily! Yes, I started with small little plants. Last year I tried seeds and nothing much came from them, so I thought this was a better way. Can’t wait to hear how your adventure goes, keep us posted!