Blank Living Room plus Benjamin Moore Shadow Gray

by Landis Carey on March 9, 2011

Oh, we love it. Benjamin Moore’s Shadow Gray compliments our dining room and gives definition to our living and sun rooms. White woodwork pops, where it was never noticeable before, while the floors and wood décor glow like honey. Our artwork is given context—it no longer displays as it would in a gallery, against stark whiteness. Though I do adore that look, this feels more like a home.

These glass bottles desperately wanted an invitation to the party. Before adorning this piece, they sat in the kitchen, kind of lonely. The larger two were purchased from a rummage sale in Far Hills, NJ and the smaller of the three I bought at our neighbors’ garage sale.

Yes, that’s a cowhide. I love it and our cat does as well. Buying it was completely against my do not purchase furs mantra. So with this, I’m hypocritical.

Oh, how I love Heath Ceramics. We purchased these two vases while visiting Heath’s Sausalito production facilities last August.

Is it odd that we purchased our couch because of its beautiful frame? And no, I didn’t pick this one out. Dear husband did. Way to go, I say!

Our endearing raku bride and groom that once stood atop our wedding cake now adorn our mantel, keeping watch over our home and family. I look at them everyday and think back to that sunny May Saturday when we said I do.

I adore this piece. Purchased from Mission Mod in Bogota, NJ, each door swings open revealing drawers or cubby spaces. Its top has a slightly shiny finish and is a different material, leading us to think it was originally meant for dining room serving. It lived with its original owner from the time it was manufactured until it was acquired by Mission Mod. We hope to give it another long, healthy life in the old home we’re making young again.

Emily March 10, 2011 at 10:13 am

This looks fabulous! I do love the contrast with the white and your floors. We have a similar color scheme in our living room but our wood floors are a bit darker so they don’t quite pop like yours. Way to go on finishing the great living room color debate!

Oh, and I’m so glad you found Heath! I will have to send you a pic of the bowls we bought in San Fran last year. I wanted to buy everything on the shelves but luckily my husband held me back! : )
Love,
Em

Landis Carey March 10, 2011 at 6:43 pm

Oh, Emily, how I love Heath. We toured their production facility in Sausalito and have also visited their store in the Ferry Building many times. Their stuff is just so neat, right? But the prices are kind of outrageous! I have a hard time springing for their dinnerware, which is why I stuck with the accents! What pieces did you pick-up when you visited? XO

Heather Austin March 10, 2011 at 10:49 am

Your home looks so inviting. Thank you for sharing

Landis Carey March 10, 2011 at 11:16 am

Thanks, Heather! It’s been a slow project, but taking our time has helped us make conscious decisions we’ll be happy with in the long-run.

Lyn April 24, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Oh Hi Mint Peach. !
We just painted our bedroom Shadow Gray. I am driving my husband crazy (coz he’s driving me crazy )…When I first saw it I immediately loved it. Then he started to make comments that range from (here goes) : we should join the navy. It looks like blue from the Goodship lolly Pop. Permission to come aboard. Some thing that you’d paint in your little boys room. I didn’t know we were that close to the ocean. I thought you wanted a gray paint…..etc. etc. etc
I am almost in tears and now am not loving the color for what it is! …and I am obsessing. (I tend to do this with paint color…WHY ? Dunno…) Oh and may I add… we mutually looked at paint for the past 3 months…and every time it came to choosing one he said, ” Oh just pick one…it’s just paint.. ”
Please just supply me with some words of support that it is a wonderful color that will be great in our bedroom. Thank you.
Hysterical in PA,
~~LYN~~

Lyn April 24, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Oh…No …another comment from my husband with in the past 2 minutes!! : “I’m not exactly sure what color battleship gray is…but it’s gotta be pretty darn close. Put a couple of big white numbers on it and it’ll look just like an air craft carrier .!”
He says he’s trying to get through to me that it’s only just paint by making light of it with all of his comments…so that I will just lighten up and be happy with the color.
His approach is not working….
I was happy with the color….
~~LYN~~