Décor Hunting at San Francisco’s Zonal Home Interiors

by Landis Carey on February 9, 2011

I feel like I won the “wandering around San Francisco looking for treasures” lottery yesterday.  Though, it’s not like what I found hasn’t been viewed by hundreds of eyes before, and in this very same store, Zonal Home Interiors.  The goods, pictured about, were just new to me, but I dearly love what I’ve purchased.  I have NO idea where they’ll land in our home, but I knew I couldn’t leave them behind, especially after taking an early plane to LA this morning, just to realize they were still on my mind…even after nearly missing our flight.

What I purchased: the 1930′s/40′s red desk for $345 (above) and a pair of Russel Wright 1940′s folding chairs for $165 (one pictured below).

Though the chairs haven’t been treated in some time, I imagine them sanded and painted, sitting on our backyard lawn waiting for a summer picnic to begin.  The red desk represents something completely different.  I see it migrating around our home as our family evolves: a front porch summertime writing place; a baby’s changing table; a child’s desk.

The other goods at Zonal are FABULOUS!  Let me tell you.  Zonal owner Russell Pritchard finds and salvages “American country furniture” dating from 1860 to 1940.  The large typefaces you see above are from Texas and the following letters are available: B, E, S, T and I.  If a C had been in the store, I would have snatched it up for its $165 price tag without hesitation.  The letter I is priced at $85.

This 1930′s blue metal “bouncer” is part of a pair available for $135.  I considered these in addition to the Russel Wrights but our yard isn’t that large.  As my Re-Nest Editor Cambria Bold says, I’m practicing appropriatism.

Liz Stanley February 10, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Love your finds! I can see those chairs in a backyard too and that red desk!

Landis Carey February 10, 2011 at 1:18 pm

Thanks, Liz! The store has really great finds and refurbished pieces! The owner salvages everything from the midwest and restores them himself. Super talented with a great eye.

Gina April 6, 2011 at 12:33 am

Landis,

Do you travel to the Bay Area often? If you do, you really must make it to the Alameda Vintage Fair, which is held the first sunday every month, just accross the bay from SF. It’s right on the waterfront over looking the bay bridge and the City (awesome on a sunny day!) and there’s acres of various and sundry vintage stuff from numerous sellers at a fraction of the prices you’ll find in store front shops. It’s one of my favorite things to do!

Gina

Landis Carey April 6, 2011 at 8:36 am

Oh goodness, I wish I’d known about this earlier! My husband and I were there for an extended time last fall and during the winter. But I’ll definitely plan on visiting the market next time I’m in town. Are you in the Bay Area? Oh, my heart has been stolen by CA. What a lovely state, I’ve never seen so many beautiful places.

Gina April 6, 2011 at 7:32 pm

I hope you do make it back! Maybe we can even go together–my mother’s arthritis has gotten to bad for to schlep around acres of stuff like that. Anyhow, just as a teaser, I’ll tell you about some of my favorite things I’ve gotten there:

–An art deco vanity with the round mirror and bench for $80
–a framed 1950′s shipliner menu cover–old style watercolors in peaches and greens of a village in Tahiti (or some other exotic place).

When you were in CA did you manage to take HWY 1 up the central coast? It’s an indescribably beautiful drive! Those three vertically framed pics next to the hallway I sent you are copies of artwork made in Big Sur (it’s totally artist country around there!). And yes, I’m a native of the Bay Area. I’ve lived in SF, Oakland, Alameda, and currently reside in a little town in the East Bay called Lafayette.

Landis Carey April 20, 2011 at 10:52 pm

Hi Gina! I’m not sure how I’m just now seeing this, but I am. I’m still not sure about how the commenting on my blog (I’m definitely an amateur!) works. Sometimes I’m notified they’re there and other times I’m not. Next time we’re in San Francisco the Alameda is definitely on our to-do! It sounds amazing. Zonal is on Hayes Street in the Hayes Valley neighborhood. It’s on the same side of the street and same block as La Boulange, but just at the other end. Definitely check it out! Be in touch!

Gina April 6, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Oh yeah, is Zonal on Valencia in the Mission neighborhood? I think I’ve been there–it’s a fun shop. That whole section of Valencia is actually cool for different kinds of kitschy stuff.